Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Elaborate Door Retrieval- J'adoor

There are certain things one must have especially if they present themselves as free and accessible.
I've had my eye on this door for awhile now.
Didn't take much convincing Mr. Coryosity to go on a field trip to the rust farm nearby.

The trusty four wheeler used for hunting... hunting junk too

It's in our sites

such beauty

where rust intermingles with nature

he set about sawing some incredibly strong steel while I went on a photo shoot.






you may have seen this impressive can pile before in an earlier post.

He's still hacksawing...




This is actually spongy rotten rubbery plasticky stuff, not fine porcelain.
That's why I'm only photographing it and not bringing it home.

patterns

like tie dye

he's still sawing away. 

I think he sweated away at it for almost a half hour.
Sorry I didn't get a good photo of the mosquito landing strip on his back. There must have been 20 or so enjoying a meal as he toiled.
What a guy!
I did help a bit holding the door so the sawing went more easily.


Spring has sprung


a tisket a tasket a rusty head gasket

seems important

Success!

loaded and ready for the ride home

but wait, there's more junk to photograph!



Check out that color.... heat patina

junkyards can be rather phallic

Ok, so I posed this, I'm entitled to some artistic license right?

The pink in the sidewalls doesn't show up so much here.



artfully framed against an old appliance


A theeng! removed from that piece above this.


Speaking of posing...

Old Alaska Road Commission piece... before they changed to DOT

It finds it way to our place... notice the quaint outhouse out yonder.
used for storage these days.
This will greet you when you pull up to our driveway now.


and now to balance out all of that rust and junk, here's what I was messing around with on the soaking rainy Sunday the day before.
Vintage Mexican weaving and vintage Indian embroidery and relic Ukrainian charm with sari trim




Split deer hide, linen fringe, sari  brocade trim and Ukrainian relic charm with vintage Indian embroidery.


Split deer hide and sari trim with vintage lace.




And steampunk lampwonk

36 comments:

  1. I'd be really scared about any psycho hoarders lurking in the bushes. You couldn't do this in the UK you'd be hunted down by a bald man with tattoos, large belly and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Love those textile necklace, great textures and fab colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually a couple of skeevey looking young dudes showed up as we were getting ready to leave. I was glad that I wasn't by myself then. Thanks for your concern and the compliments on the fabric pieces.

      Delete
  2. Hey..what a guy!! So glad you got the door.
    Interesting pictures,especially the doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took several photos of that doll. I like the moss that was sprouting out of the neck.

      Delete
  3. I want what is in the 16th photo "patterns" Don't know what it is but just hang it and it will be a art piece perfect !
    Great photos and I love the door.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You want the photo or the piece? The piece itself would be problematic to send. It's very long!

      Delete
  4. What a great post. Love Dave posing with the door, what a guy!!!! I would love to see that door on the way in..... Cool new jewelry/fiber pieces, your work is totally evolving, fab. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, that looks like an enjoyable day! The spongy rotten rubbery plasticky dude looks like a beheaded Star Wars Stormtrooper. So much rust...rust heaven!

    Love your new pieces!

    ...Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've scavenged most of the removable parts from this rust yard but I'm always going back to see if I can find some other usable goodie.

      Delete
  6. oh back in Alaska I see, wow what a great rust yard you have! how fun! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have varied rust opportunities in both locales both north and south you see!

      Delete
  7. Stunning fabric designs & what a wonderful door! (& such a great guy ;)That 'Ideal Theeng' is my favorite bit of 'junk' !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that will be a bracelet perhaps, it's just stiff and bendable enough I think. Thanks Emma.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh beautiful photo's .... BUT I'm appalled when I see all this yunk lying around "in nature" ! That's probably because we have so little "nature" here !!!
    I love the woven and stitched stuff you "meesed around with" a lot more ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, especially when I see toxic stuff like batteries laying about and we depend on our well water.
      Luckily we have nature abounding in all directions here in Alaska, it's incredibly vast.
      Nice to hear you like my meesings!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tour of a "rust farm"! That is a great term for a junk yard! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. slobs everywhere...even in paradise...but love the car decal thingy(el monte, California) not far from here....yes your work is evolving and just wonderful Kim...love the lil pouches...xxxxthanks for all you are a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing, Kim! We don't have such places here in Germany. Beautiful photos as always!
    Your work has grown so. Love especially the earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! The door would have been my first choice but not far behind.... that yellow rusty holey piece (3rd photo) is making me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Should I box some up for you to mess up your new studio?

      Delete
  14. Lucky you! Who knew rust could be so beautiful! My husband would throw a fit if I brought something home like this.

    I just love your fabric pouches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I think it's something we definitely have in common!

      Delete
  15. You are so lucky to have a "rust farm" close by! Love the photos and your new artworks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably would like all of the aspen around here too Elizabeth. Not sure it's the same quality wood as you use though.

      Delete
  16. Nice you have a partner in junk who appreciates your eye for treasure.
    Great pics. Especially the one eyed tennie with fungus and the poser.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your trip to Junk Heaven, Kim. The new pieces remind me of beading - maybe amulet bags... happy day, sus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sus!
      I made them into non-bags more like fobs.

      Delete
  18. My gosh Kim, I feel like I've been out on an adventure with you guys! Your photos captured the day perfectly.
    Rainy days can be just what an artist needs to really buckle down and get to work. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Got another rainy day on my hands today. Just need to get motivated!

      Delete
  19. What a visual feast! Wow! You have a great eye for photos. Just wonderful. And your textile jewelry is so intricate and interesting. Loving those earrings! The rubbery, headless baby doll creeped me out tho. Shudder. Your new yard art is cool and your hubs is adorable. And not only because he provided a banquet for the mosquitos to get that door for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sacrifices that are made for good precious junk!
      More photos coming up of the studio and yard

      Delete
  20. I love love this post.

    Like Robyn I love the door but the yellow hole-y thing (is it a wheel ramp for a truck) truly needs my love and care. :)

    I have seen some places in the rural South where I have wanted to go rummaging, photo, or even ring the bell of a door and ask to buy something I see... but being a true Yankee in some way down here I am often feared of treading into troubles... shot gun/pit bull, old cival war wounds still fester and then there is the "you;re not from around here?" phrase.

    Love your photos. The posing, the fridge, the tag and its absence spot.

    ReplyDelete

You might have something you want to say about this!