When I first started making beads I tried my hand at making beads with faces but I ended up following a path that took me in a more organic nature. Perhaps because I didn't have the fine sculptural steady hand required for fabulous figural work and wasn't in the particular head space to devote the time to improve my skills. I was getting good feedback on the beads I was making and felt satisfied with the improvement I was making with that style. Or perhaps is that the caffeine I liked to imbibe for energy was at odds with my nervous system and I just shake too much for well placed eyes. They ended up coming out rather Simpsonesque.
I decided to give them another try the other day and maybe this time I'll put more time into developing them. I was thinking of doing some mask type faces and maybe it will behoove me to map out some of the design elements in advance even though that is SO unlike me!
The backgrounds are gessoed cards from some promotional that we got in the mail. I thought I would experiment with my new inks on them.
Here is a tutorial that Tim Holz has on using his alcohol inks. I was using some of my distressed ink pads as well with these backgrounds.