Sunday, December 27, 2009

Going Out To See the World


Just getting my last things together for our trip to Spain, France and Morocco and suddenly I think of things like bringing business cards. Of course I don't have any of that nice perforated cardstock specifically for business cards on hand so some nice lightweight paper, hand cut will have to do.

Then at the last minute I realize that I haven't thought of a suitable journal to bring. These days I'm thinking a simple wirebound pad isn't good enough after all of the wonderful altered art journals I've been perusing lately.

I've been amassing many weathered tomes but most of them have content that's too good to write over and I'm thinking that one that's more blank will be better. I found a red vinyl covered accounting book that was just a bit too utilitarian looking. If I cut the vinyl off I'd have some nice cardboard pieces to embellish underneath. Unfortunately I cut too much off and the cardboard wanted to fall out. Then I had a choice between red or silver duct tape. So the book regained the red background again but with a tad more funky texture. I found a nice vintage page from a children's book to dress it up.

I know it's fairly simplistic for an art journal but it will do in a pinch. Hopefully the interior will flourish with my entries.

With my husband's new Eee PC that he got for Christmas I won't have to lug my laptop around and hope to be able to blog some on the trip. I should have lots to show and share.!

9 comments:

  1. can't wait to hear all about the trip and your journal is great! have safe travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy every moment..what a wonderful trip..looking forward to hearing all about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful trip. That journal will be perfect, it is the wonderful words and images that go inside that will make it great. Hope you plan on sharing when you get back!

    Shona

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOpe you have a wonderful time and shop till you drop for goodies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip. It sounds so perfectly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually managed to travel somewhat light on this trip but had to stop at an art supply store just to have something besides pens to work with. Now if I only had scissors, glue, ephemera and the rest of my studio supplies with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love the journal! I think it has a great amount of character.

    I do hope that you'll be able to blog while on your trip. Would love to see some of your journal pages and some beautiful scenery as well.

    Have a fun and safe time:
    Kim
    Gerushia's New World

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim,

    Thanks so much for your visits!

    You are taking my dream trip. I have Morocco on my "A" list. I will look forward to seeing your chronicle.

    Love the cover.

    Happy New Year!

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim and Dave... what a wonderful journey you have having and thanks so much for sharing with pictures and dialog. Hope when you come back to AK that you will do a presentation at the Ester Community Hall! Bon Ani 2010 Judie

    ReplyDelete

You might have something you want to say about this!