Thursday, July 31, 2014

Achey Breaky Bits and Pieces

Broken components.
 As a component maker I am so saddened to hear that someone has accidentally
 broken one of my pieces before they have even gotten to use it.
It seems there has been a run of it lately. The fact is that glass and ceramics are while being durable also can be fragile and shatter if you get too rough.

Oh the heartbreak! This is what happens when you are trying to get phone reception in the studio by a window near your bead stash while trying to work with tech support on your internet connectivity.
I broke the delicate tip right off of my HappyFishShop daggers. This is the first she's heard of it.
I have applied some of my Aves's Apoxy clay for to rescue this piece. Now that it has sufficiently hardened I think it should hold fast and is ready for some paint. I'm going to paint it in some sort of contrasting color.


And then I got too futzy with my wirework here and broke my point of connection.I was in love with these honey droppers of Jana's  ( HappyFishShop again)
Please don't think her pieces are too fragile, it's me that's doing the damage!

Ave's Apoxy Clay to the rescue once again. This is ready for paint and  I'm confident that they will stand up to reasonable abuse now.

So what do you do when a  tourist customer buys from you in person and finds this when they return home from their trip. I got the message that the "stone had broken"
This means two things to me. I didn't talk up my work enough to let them know that it's actually a ceramic piece made by another artisan although I know it's part of my spiel these days, I'm certain I wasn't specific when I sold these.
Also I don't do much for packaging other than a bag when I sell at the farmer's market and I should  realize that when I sell to tourists I should take take some rough handling into account although I do ask them how they want it bagged up in most cases . So I feel partially responsible in this case and can't bear to have a disappointed customer that has fallen in love with a set only to find it broken and unwearable upon return home. Lucky for me I am on a chummy basis with my gal Petra all the way over in the UK and she is going to help me out with this so I can do a remake. Talk about going the extra mile!

I made these "mussel shell" beads eons ago. I don't know how they showed up on my work table again but they were begging for a remake with this wonderful lapis.  WIP of course, they need earwires.

I was going back to some simplicity yesterday so I could do some serious shop fluffage. I  have a bead show in October and a am starting to wonder if I can ever get my inventory back up.


These are some combinations I've been working with and as you can see I am loving my bicone bead roller.

They disappeared as soon as I showed them though so there ya go!

'sbeen awhile since I went all limp on you.
Limpet's I mean.

Man, I can't get enough of this yellow umber!

I have just a few rods left of this strawberry something or other glass and so I've been hoarding it. What's the point of that? Use it I say.

Experimenting with some crubble concepts. Oooh coffee!

Crubbly cube's how ya been? Haven't seen you 'round these parts lately.

Very old WIP that is about finished. A Staci Loiuse polymer piece.
Kuchi metal glued to some salmon skin leather with one of my crusty crystal headpins sandwiched in by another piece of leather that I sewed together.

 Keeping it real with some rust and nails

 I was kind of proud of this one. It sold fast.  Bye bye favorite piece!

Still struggling with pieces that have a lot of wire work. I guess I'm a fan of the drapey but it was fun to use some of my polymer pieces to go with WondrousStrange's beautiful raku piece.

Knobular amber, I was entrusted with a deceased friend's stash of amber and have been putting up some pieces in my numinosity Etsy supply shop. They are un-drilled  but some nice specimens.

I have a couple of amethyst slices left too.

 It's a pleasure to photograph amber I've found. So photogenic.

I'm off to Salmonstock festival for a super long weekend of driving and fun. See you next week!

13 comments:

  1. love the nails in glass! and now i need to get some of that epoxy. you did a great job with it and i think i could use it to repair a ceramic piece from petra. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job salvaging the broken pieces. Sometimes the pieces are more spectacular than the original design:) As always I love your work...and thanks so much for the mention...I am honored:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Kim! Your jewelry is really shining; I specially liked the necklace with the Wondrous pendant. And those amber pieces--oooh lalalalala!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fully paid up member of the bruteforce&ignorance brigade I gotta say the makedo&mend recovery is brilliant.
    Beaut bead bing too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck at the festival, Kim - though I don't really think you need luck when you've got all these gorgeous pieces to sell...

    ReplyDelete
  6. great googly moogly everything you make is so gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i also need a close up of the circular/flare-ish joiny bits on that necklace they're amazing, are they the polymer things of your own making you mentioned? amazing. gonna peruse yr blog to see if i can find more info...

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh and your lampworks are insane and mind-boggling as per usual. im not being flippant they boggle. im fully boggled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love our bicone roller too. These bead shapes are fab. You must be working up a storm.....xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. uh, I hate when things break :( I worked so hard on this pair of Roman glass earrings and then they snapped today out of the blue...no mistreatment or anything...just snapped out of their soldered frames...well, better now than when sold....sigh! Love your work btw, it gets lovelier every time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Naw, it's unlikely you'll ever be able to get your inventory back up. Your wonderful work flies out of your store as fast as you make it! Great new stuff, Kim! I am especially liking the oober-uber red nailed headpin, which was gone in the blink of an eye! Perfect repairs on the breaks. Looks purposeful and adds interesting texture to the pieces. Thoroughly enjoyed your post. Always do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I draw-like-effective upon our long-years-of-faith to decipher the voracious dynamic to make a perfectly cognizant, fully-spectacular, Son-ripened-Heaven… yet, I’m not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw. Greetings, earthling. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most extra-groovy-paradox, treasureNpleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué, eternal-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-rrrock’nNsmmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Meet me Upstairs. Cya soon…

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess I am just crazy but If I bought a pair of your earring (and I have several) and when I got home and they were broken I would take the blame. She didn't pack them correctly. If I loved then that much I would ask to buy another pair.
    And I must tell you I would wear the broken ones as is. It is fabulous like that.
    Love the clearish rust, orange spotted beads. Beautiful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete

You might have something you want to say about this!